Saturday, January 15, 2005

Babysitting 5

Ruka has been joining us quite regularly as of late. She usually shows up during the final 30 - 45 minutes of the lesson. Miyu likes having her around, but she acts like a typical older sibling most of the time. She doesn't like to share, and she loves to annoy Ruka at every chance she gets. I guess it's only natural. I'm sure that I was the same way (sorry, Scott and Kate!)

Miyu still doesn't see any need to use English when we're spending time together. She knows that I speak some Japanese. Her parents always speak to me in Japanese, so it rarely works when I pretend like I can't understand what she's saying. I wonder if it's ever going to get any better. Is she ever going to make an effort to produce some English? We need to create some kind of an environment where it's understood that it's an English-0nly area. I would love it if we could take a trip to America once a year. It seems like that would be a good opportunity to make her aware of how useful the language CAN be. It's definitely of little use at home. Having the lesson up here in our apartment would also be good.

I think that Yasu and Michiko (Ruka's parents) are smart to drop her off about halfway through the lesson. Two hours a day definitely didn't do much to get Miyu talking.


Share/Save/Bookmark
blog comments powered by Disqus