Monday, January 16, 2006

Baby's First Horror Movie

Not since I was in junior high school, way back in the day, have I watched a horror movie. I remember a slumber party over at Jesse's place, the one on Mtn. Street Extension that burned down, where we watched a couple of movies that were way too scary for me.

I have a very active imagination, so I can't sleep at night after I've seen something really interesting, disturbing, thrilling, etc. I remember when I was one of the first people at the scene of a pretty messy traffic accident back in tenth grade. Two people died in that wreck; one of them, the guy with his face pushed over near his right ear, stopped breathing while I was holding him. Needless to say, I didn't sleep for a few nights after that. Actually, mom said that I didn't really speak very much for the better part of two weeks. I don't really remember that part, but I guess the moral of the story is that I'm a big baby.

So the effects of The First Power on the former version of myself at age 12 were significant. The whole demonic possession thing really got inside my head, and I haven't watched a horror flick since. Until last night, that is. I watched The Grudge with my wife. It's a remake of a Japanese film, and it stars Sarah Michelle Gellar. It was reasonably scary, but I paid more attention to the cinematography, music, and acting than to all the killing that was going on.

I'm not a born-again horror fan or anything, but I'm happy to report that I could be persuaded to watch another horror film now. Hmmm, I wonder if I should try watching The First Power again...


Share/Save/Bookmark
blog comments powered by Disqus