Thursday, January 12, 2006

Final Grades

Many of my students were lamenting the state of their grades this term.

"During first semester I worked pretty hard, and I got A's and B's. But then I got lazy, and I'm worried that I might get some D's or F's this term," they said.

I chuckled. They are typical freshman at this university in Tokyo. However, I can't imagine that many of them are actually going to fail their classes. It takes a criminal amount of absences to fail a class here. The course that I teach has one of the most stringent attendance policies in the school. Students are required to come to 70% of the classes in order to pass.

My students are doing pretty well this semester, so I cautioned against getting overly pessimistic.

Hey, at least they show up for class.


Share/Save/Bookmark
blog comments powered by Disqus