Friday, January 13, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha Review (by Roger Chriss)

I tend to spend a lot of time flipping through blogs that have something to do with language, Japan, or Korea, and Mr. Chriss' blog has all three.

He does a quick review of Memoirs of a Geisha (Wed. Jan. 11th, 2006), which he seemed to think was OK, but probably wouldn't pay to see again.

I normally don't have a problem with people's reasons for liking or not liking something, but this comment caught me off guard:

Another nit: Sayuri is played by Ziyi Zhang (from Crouching Tiger, Hidden
Dragon) and Gong Li (of Farewell my Concubine fame) plays her nemesis. Neither
of these women look remotely Japanese.
The other characters are played by a
hodgepodge of Asians, including some Japanese (a complete list can be had here)...P.S.: For people who think I'm being a snob or playing expert, I lived in Japan for years in the 80s, and spend my days translating Japanese stuff into English. (Note: italics are mine)

Hmmm. I wonder how well he would do on this test at the All Look Same? website.



Share/Save/Bookmark
blog comments powered by Disqus