Saturday, January 27, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest


Saw this movie last night (part two of the trilogy), and I'd have to say that my reaction is more positive than negative.

Allow me to explain. There's a lot going on in this film--different people pursuing overlapping goals on the high seas. The separate stories are at times easy to follow, but then suddenly become confusing. One-liners and comical scenes are plentiful, but I had to press rewind a couple of times to make sure I had heard the dialogue correctly.

Maybe I just need to watch it again to get the storyline down. However, it's rarely a good thing when you feel tired once the movie's finished. Also, I had suspected from the start that this movie was going to be a bridge to the third and final (?) chapter of the trilogy, and it turns out that my inklings were dead on. Johnny Depp is as solid as he can be in this tangle of action sequences, but what we are now left with is a situation where a weak third edition (one that doesn't contain enough of the charm that makes the The Curse of the Black Pearl enjoyable the second and third time you watch it) will end up pissing off a lot of fans like the Matrix trilogy did.

In the end I'll leave it to the real critics. My thoughts on "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" can by summed up by the likes of Philip Wuntch, a writer for the Dallas Morning News, who said, "Mr. (Gore) Verbinski is an extremely skilled traffic director."

Sean Burns from the Philadelphia Weekly made a good point when he observed that "...the fool thing just keeps going and going...and going. (Does a Pirates sequel really need to be five minutes longer than GoodFellas?)."

If you didn't catch "Dead Man's Chest" when it was at the Cineplex, good! You would have missed something reasonably important when you went to the bathroom. I'm going to be very cautious about paying to see the third installment due to my negative experience with the final of the Matrix series. However, I will say that I have all the faith in the world in Depp, so I'm predicting a satisfying reprieve next summer.


Share/Save/Bookmark
blog comments powered by Disqus