Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Bomb Plot; Seibu-Shinjuku Line

Yoshihiro Terasawa, 38, planned to blow up a train on the Seibu-Shinjuku line prosecutors alleged Monday.

Terasawa denies the allegation, but readily admits to making about 92.5 grams of TATP (triacetone triperoxide) at his home. TATP was the explosive agent used in the bombings in London back in July of 2005.

With a bomb plot and actual explosives in his possession, I was curious to see if the media would call him a terrorist. In other countries, having only one of the two would qualify an individual as a terrorist.

I have found one instance where international terrorism was referred to (in Japanese), but I haven't seen Terasawa called a terrorist yet. I wonder if anyone in the mainstream media dares to get to that point.

Update: [September 12, 2007] Apparently nobody cares about this story. The media has ignored it.

It seems like the guy was arrested in June or July, so why did it take so long for us to hear about it? Is the story true? Was it leaked? If it was leaked, why aren't any of the major news outlets pursuing the case?

I can understand that the authorities wouldn't want to alarm commuters when there's no real threat of danger, but the silence is strange. Call me crazy, but if the suspect in question were non-Japanese, this would be a whole different ballgame.

Maybe I'm just being overly-sensitive because prosecutors allege that he was planning to bomb the train line that I use every day.


Share/Save/Bookmark
blog comments powered by Disqus